Wednesday, June 30, 2010

why we started this wedding planning process



It just occurred to me that I haven't posted the reason why we are planning a wedding! Here is how my fiance proposed... and above you will see the picture of the beautiful bling!

Proposal Story:

Midway through a trip to Las Vegas, we decided to take a side trip to visit the Grand Canyon. We rented a car and left the strip early on Sunday morning. It was business as usual during the car ride... stopping for breakfast, belting out to the songs on the radio, and not really having a set plan for the day.

Once we arrived at the West Rim, we first headed to the Grand Canyon Skywalk. They were 70 feet over the Grand Canyon's rim and 4000 feet above the Colorado River. He was very quiet and seemed a bit nervous as we were strolling around the Skywalk, habits he declared was a fear of heights (which made me confused... I mean geez we both went skydiving out of a plane 13,000 feet in the air a year ago for crying out loud... how can a stable walkway structure cause so much anxiety in him?!).

After our visit to the skywalk we headed over to Guano Point and took a walk along the edges of the west rim. Again, he seemed very restless and concerned about what was going on around us. We wandered over to a cliff, away from people, and were taking in the breathtaking views of the Grand Canyon in peace. While looking around at the magnificent scenery, he stayed a little back behind me and said "Isn't this beautiful?" and I replied "yeah, the grand canyon is so beautiful". He then said, "No...turn around, isn't THIS beautiful?". I turned around and there he was on his knee holding out a ring and asked, "will you marry me?" I was totally taken by surprise and was immediately excited. He put the ring on my finger and I continued to jump around, speaking unclearly, and probably said "oh my god" for a minute straight. He had to eventually ask, "so, is that a yes?!"

After calming down from the excitement, we continued to roam around Guano Point. A friendly tourist caught wind our excitement and offered to take our first picture as a newly engaged couple. I then called her parents to share the exciting news, little did I know they already knew the engagement was coming since he sat down with them seeking their blessing for my hand in marriage prior to their trip.

For the remainder of the day he was back to his old self and felt very relieved after popping the big question and getting the answer he hopped for. I spent the rest of the trip starring and marveling at the ring... and continue to do so every day.

1 comment:

  1. Dad loves the story, but says you're too close to the edge in the picture!
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete