Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Practice Centerpiece

I think the cost of wedding flowers are outrageous!  Now don't get me wrong... I absolutely LOVE flowers (I even have a tattoo of a flower)... I think they are beautiful... but I think centerpieces and bouquets from florists are way over priced.... so we are thinking of another route... making them ourself!
My dad works at Trader Joe's and they always have some beautiful full blooms for a cheap price.  Hydrangeas are a great summer flower and TJ's has huge steams of these!  My dad picked up a bunch the other day (each bunch comes with three stems) and he and my mom put together this simple centerpiece:

I didn't take the best picture of this mock centerpiece... but at least it gives you and idea!  They lined the vases with white ribbon along the top too to give it a little extra touch.  The hydrangeas are white with a tint of green.  The pictures above really don't give it enough justice though... it's pretty, simple, and a little elegant... and the great thing is each centerpiece costs less than $7 to make! The great thing is that my mom was able to find a boatload of matching vases for the centerpieces after a couple visits to a thrift store... and is currently on the hunt for voltive candle holders at thrift stores too.
We would put these centerpieces together  the day before the wedding.... maybe even two days before.  This mock centerpiece was in perfect condition for quite a while, so making them ahead of time will be no issue to the appearance!

I'm also thinking of incorporating hydrangea into my bouquet as well!

1 comment: